Agriculture & Rural Development
Fighting For Agriculture and Rural Development
Some of the world’s richest farmland is in the 17th District, and as our number one industry, agriculture supports our economy in a variety of ways.
Our region is the home to thousands of farmers and millions of acres of farmland. It is a world leader in agricultural products, including grain and oilseed production, as well as hogs and cattle.
It is also home to the headquarters of large manufacturing employers Caterpillar and Deere & Co., which employ thousands of workers.
Additionally, the USDA research center in Peoria is at the forefront of finding new uses for crops and creating new technology that improves environmental quality and food safety.
We need to sustain and enhance our agricultural economy and take advantage of our natural resources, using them as tools of economic competitiveness and growth. We have an abundant supply of soil, wind, sunshine and water in our region that we can make into the foundation for new ethanol, biodiesel, hydroelectric power, solar and wind energy.
As a member of the House Committee on Agriculture, and the Farm Commodities and Risk Management Subcommittee and the Livestock and Rural Development Subcommittee, I will fight each and every day for our region’s agricultural community.
My vision for strengthening our agricultural economy, both in rural areas and small towns, is anchored in growth and sustainability:
- Support alternative energy projects via low interest revolving loan funds.
- Promote LEEDS certification in new buildings and retrofitting existing buildings to meet higher sustainability standards.
- Improve broadband access to underserved and rural communities.
- Focus eco-energy industrial parks on assisting entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Eliminate trade barriers that hinder U.S. agricultural product exportation.